Thursday, June 21, 2012

Waffling

In celebration of the upcoming National Waffle Iron Day on June 29th, I decided that is was time for me to finally purchase a waffle iron. I've been talking about buying one for several years now, but apparently the time (and price) was right.

To be clear, National Waffle Iron Day should not be confused with National Waffle Day, which is on August 24th, or International Waffle Day, which is March 25th. Basically there seems to be a whole lot of reasons to eat waffles. Of course, now that I have my own waffle iron, every day is basically waffle day. Why not?








Having picked up the finest $20 waffle iron that money can buy and subsequently named him "Tommeke", I headed over to the Giant to check out the selection of batter mixes.





 Now, I'm fully aware that the best waffle batter is homemade. However, I figured it'd be more entertaining to subject myself the various chemical concoctions that is pre-made waffle/pancake/biscuit batter.

I also had no idea that there was such a wide selection...


















I ended up choosing the Bisquick Shake 'n Pour and the Classique Fare Belgian Waffle Mix with it's retro 1970s packaging.










The only thing that's missing is the classic shot of the 1970s family enjoying a hearty meal?












Surprisingly, the Shake 'n Pour waffles actually turned out ok as far as pre-mixed batter goes. Nothing special really, but perfectly decent if you can get over the fact that you're pouring pre-made batter out of a plastic jug. Aside from the amusing packaging, the Classique Fare mix was pretty bad. Despite using the mix instructions on the box and trying varying waffle temperature settings, the waffles never cooked right. I was mostly left with half-cooked waffle goo that had to be scraped off the iron with a fork. Go ahead and chuckle at the box next time you see it in the store, but definitely buy another brand.

Next up I'll be talking about making home made choco tacos...the latest trend in hipster foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment